Volunteers Needed: 40
Supervisors Needed: 8
Volunteers are needed to build floating islands that will be installed in Hallett’s Pond to improve water quality. Volunteers will also plant native grasses and shrubs on the shoreline of the pond. This work will establish a new, sustainable ecosystem that will improve water quality and provide diverse habitat for fish, pollinators, and birds to thrive. The islands will be covered in plants that will grow roots into the water column which will help maintain cleaner water (by managing phosphorous, nitrogen, and total suspended solids). This body of water is a popular destination for water-related recreation and community events and as part of its ongoing effort to develop the amenities at Hallett’s Pond Nature Area, the City of St. Peter will also be installing a fishing pier here in 2019.
Please wear and your old sneakers or rainboots, as some volunteers may need to step in shallow water.
- Recommended for ages 8+, children must be supervised
- Difficulty level of restoration task: Moderate
- Terrain: Flat
- Hike to Site: Easy, very short distance
- We supply: Tools and equipment (gloves, shovels, safety glasses, etc.), drinking water, and all training
- This event will occur rain or shine
- Suggested clothing: old sneakers or boots/waders for walking in shallow parts of pond
- Light breakfast, snacks, and lunch provided
This project is made possible with support from our partners and funders: FishAmerica Foundation, City of Saint Peter, CHS Foundation, Clif Bar Family Foundation, New Belgium Brewing, Rahr Corporation, and Fréy Salon.
Registration is closed for this event.