The Individual Giving Officer secures funds for the organization by managing and expanding Great River Greening’s portfolio of individual donors. Overall, this position is responsible for identifying, qualifying, and stewarding donors, assuring that as many as possible are retained as continuing donors and are upgraded in their giving and involvement.
We’re looking for an outgoing, high-energy self-starter with extensive knowledge of individual giving. We have an ambitious strategic plan that necessitates increasing revenue from individual donors at all levels. This position works as part of a small development team, which includes a Development Director and Development Assistant. Additionally, there is frequent interaction and support from the Executive Director and Communications Manager.
The Individual Giving Officer is an exempt, full-time position. Salary is dependent upon qualifications, with benefits including health, dental, 401k, LTD, FSA, life insurance, and a PTO plan.
The position reports to the Development Director and offices from St. Paul, Minnesota.
Individual Donor Management (75%)
- Work with the Executive Director and Development Director to refine and implement a multi-year Individual Giving Plan that includes:
- Identifying current and potential major donors;
- Defining goals and a cultivation strategy for each individual or category of individuals;
- Cultivating and soliciting major gifts;
- Stewarding current and potential major donors;
- Maintaining and updating detailed profiles on current and potential major donors;
- Developing a donor recognition plan, including drafting acknowledgment letter templates;
- Increasing donor retention and annual giving levels; and
- Exploring a Planned Giving Program.
- Work with the Board of Directors to cultivate their support and the support of their donor prospects.
- Craft solicitations and fundraising appeals, both direct mail and online (e.g., Fall Appeal, Spring Appeal, and Give to the Max
- Day), working with program and communications staff to secure appropriate program information as needed.
- Help the organization accurately budget for individual donor revenue and expenses.
- Supervise volunteers and interns as needed.
- Work collaboratively and strategically with the Fundraising Committee and Development Team.
Special Events (20%)
- Work with the Fundraising Committee and staff to evaluate, plan, and implement the Clean & Green Gala and Business Forum Breakfast as it relates to individuals (primarily through individual table sponsorships and fund-a-need gifts).
- Coordinate monthly outdoor happy hour events to introduce new donors to Great River Greening and steward existing donors. Includes promotion, program design, logistics, and follow-up.
- Coordinate Party with a Purpose events, which includes house party fundraisers, alongside Board of Directors and Development Director. This includes soliciting hosts, evaluating/refining the evening program, logistics, and follow-up.
Administrative Support (5%)
- Use Great River Greening’s donor management system (Neon) to generate segmented mailing lists, manage appeal response rates, and report outcomes.
- Strong written, oral, and interpersonal communications skills.
- Minimum of five years of experience in a related position; at least three years in major donor development.
- Undergraduate degree required; advanced degree a plus.
- Ability to understand the needs and interests of individual donors of all giving levels in order to develop relationships between them.
- Successful experience in making cold calls as well as developing cultivation and solicitation strategies.
- Strong organizational skills including the ability to plan work, meet deadlines, and balance multiple projects and objectives.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule that is adaptive to the needs of the organization.
- Self-motivation and initiative as well as ability and eagerness to work as part of a team.
- Strong teamwork ethic, flexible with positive, proactive attitude and a sense of humor.
- Strong personal commitment to Great River Greening’s mission.
- Ability to regularly travel within the Twin Cities metro area with and occasionally into Greater MN .
Send cover letter and resume that details your qualifications to:
Deadline to apply: December 21, 2018
ABOUT GREAT RIVER GREENING
Great River Greening is a leading environmental restoration nonprofit with a mission to inspire, engage, and lead local communities in conserving and caring for the land and water that enrich our lives. Our services extend throughout Minnesota in partnership with local communities, governmental agencies, conservation and agricultural organizations, and individuals.
Great River Greening has grown significantly in geographic scope over the past five years, expanding from the Twin Cities into areas of outstate Minnesota (e.g., Mississippi Headwaters, Nicollet County). As our footprint expands, so does the complexity and depth of our restoration services. Our talented and committed team of 16 staff members works collaboratively to restore 2,000 acres of habitat while engaging 2,000+ volunteers annually.
See www.greatrivergreening.org for more information.