The Outreach Program Manager is the key position for our goal to provide experiences and learning opportunities that inspire environmental stewardship. Adult and youth volunteers participate in events to conduct restoration activities such as native species plantings, invasive species control, and native seed collection. Great River Greening also helps train future leaders through a Volunteer Supervisors training program and our Field Learning for Teens program.
POSITION: Full-time, exempt position with benefits, including health, dental, 401k, LTD, FSA, life insurance, and a generous PTO plan. Reports to the Operations Director. Salary is $40,000-50,000, depending upon experience.
About GRG: Great River Greening is a conservation nonprofit that restores the land, builds community partnerships, and inspires stewardship. Our ecologists apply state-of-the-art practices to restoration projects, sharing their skill and knowledge to communities, businesses, landowners, agencies, organizations, and volunteers with whom we work. They also help the next generation discover opportunities in environmental sciences through a dynamic community and youth involvement program.
Great River Greening has grown in its geographic scope in the last few years, but the staff remains small and works collaboratively as a friendly and committed team.
Provide overall management of Great River Greening volunteer stewardship events (which engage 2,000+ individuals at 40+ events annually) and overall management of targeted youth education programs (which engage 300 students annually)
- Lead the expansion of the Great River Greening volunteer program including outreach and recruitment, educational and training programs, tracking and recognition.
- Supervise the Community Outreach Coordinator – main efforts of recruitment, outreach, and volunteer relations.
- Coordinate all non-restoration aspects of Great River Greening events (includes Saturdays in spring and fall): including event logistics, leading event day-of, and outreach to participants.
- Develop, coordinate, and schedule volunteer events and trainings with Director of Operations, Program Managers, Field Coordinator, and external partners. Research and develop new volunteer programs, i.e. advanced training, recognition of long-term volunteers, expansion of educational and community service programs.
- Oversee all communications related to volunteers including seasonal brochures, event fliers, volunteer portion of website, social media, event details, recognition items, etc.
- Foster community and corporate partnerships to support volunteer program, through contributions, grants, in-kind donations, and long-term participation of volunteers.
- Attend community events and give public presentations to explain Greening’s programs and to recruit potential volunteers. Includes evening and Saturday events.
- Lead management for volunteer databases, coordinate data entry needs, produce strategic plan metrics for volunteer programs,
- Organize and lead the Volunteer Supervisor Committee which provides oversight for the volunteer program.
- Lead recruitment and outreach efforts for all volunteer programs (volunteer leaders, general public, corporations, and youth groups
- Bachelor’s degree plus 3-5 years related experience in volunteer management, event planning, environmental education and/or community engagement and outreach.
- Must be highly organized, detail-oriented, and have effective planning skills.
- Ability and willingness to work on Saturdays in the spring and fall.
- Must have creative and dynamic leadership and problem-solving skills.
- Must possess an ability to think strategically to advance the vision of the volunteer program.
- Must work and communicate well in a team setting, and be able to effectively collaborate with other organizations.
- Must be able to do minor fundraising for program and events.
- Must be able to develop and manage program budgets.
- Knowledge of MS Office programs (Word, Access, Outlook, Excel). Familiarity with Adobe graphics software a plus.
- Knowledge of environmental restoration issues/programs a plus!
- Must have a valid driver’s license and personal vehicle
- Must have ability to lift up to 50 lbs
Submit cover letter addressing the qualifications, resume, and references ONLY by e-mail to: Todd Rexine, Director of Operations, firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline is June 2. No phone calls please.