Great River Greening is a non-profit environmental restoration organization whose mission is to lead and restore community-based restoration of natural areas and open spaces. We are accepting applications for two Seasonal Restoration Technician position. The Restoration Technician implements restoration and ecological management activities on public and private sites throughout the Twin Cities metropolitan area as a member of a small crew. These two positions will serve to extend the main field season, and given satisfactory performance during this employment, the technicians will be given first right of refusal for the full 2020 field season technician position.
Main Function: Implement buckthorn chemical control at Lilydale Regional Park in St. Paul and assist with other ecological restoration activities as needed.
- Perform restoration site preparation, exotic species removal, native seed collection and processing.
- Maintain garage, equipment, and other supplies in addition to other field related tasks as needed.
- Represent Great River Greening when interacting with public and private landowners.
More Detailed Description:
- Applying herbicide with hand and back pack sprayers.
- Loading and unloading various field related equipment, from water pumps, track vehicles, and ATVs.
- Brush hauling, stacking, chipping & burning.
- Using chainsaw and brush saw if appropriately qualified.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
- This position is physically demanding and requires 10 hours/day working at times in difficult terrain, under adverse field conditions and during inclement weather. The work often requires repetitive actions such as squatting, bending, kneeling, lifting, hiking, carrying and using tools and equipment for extended periods of time.
- May be subjected to moving mechanical parts, light to heavy duty machinery, vibrations, fumes, odors, dusts, gases, chemicals, and intense noises.
- Must be able to safely drive full-size crew extended cab ¾ ton pickup fully loaded for local and regional travel in all weather conditions, for up to 4 hours per day.
- Flexibility in scheduling will be required as work is contingent on weather conditions.
- MN pesticide applicators license (Sections A&E) required at the time of application.
- Plant identification (both native and exotic) and their related communities.
- Skilled in native and/or traditional landscape installation and management.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills – expected to keep detailed field records.
- Valid Minnesota driver’s license required; ability to pass Greening’s safe driver background check.
- Good safety record and the ability to work safely alone and with others.
- Ability to work outdoors on steep and hilly terrain and thick underbrush.
- Ability to team-lift 100 pounds.
- Able to take directions / follow detailed instructions and the ability to make adjustments in field when it represents the interest of Greening.
- Should be a self starter and motivated individual.
- Chainsaw, power tools and/or small engine training and experience.
- CPR/First Aid training.
- MN DOT commercial truck license.
- Experience with ecological BMP’s and bioengineering practices.
Position Duration: Seasonal, approximately December 2, 2019 – January 3, 2020, position open until filled.
Compensation: $14.00 per hour
Please send resume with cover letter, proof of pesticide applicator license and references to:
David Schmitz via email at email@example.com